A janitor also known as cleaner or caretaker is a person who cleans or maintains buildings such as hospitals, schools and residential accommodations. Its primary responsibility is as a cleaner. However in some cases they also carry out maintenance and security duties.
Janitors are the one who play an important role in any business, office or school as they are responsible for maintaining the hygienic condition of the environment. They are working everywhere but mostly in schools, business, colleges, offices etc. Function of a janitor is not limited to cleaning the toilets, sweeping the floor and taking out the trash. It is indispensible for a janitor to have strength and endurance as they tend to spend 8 hours on their feet managing heavy cleaning machine and more. Janitorial services require a lot of hard work it is not simple. Hence, not everyone can perform it. You may work alone or in a group depending upon the location. With some companies that clean offices, they may have their personnel clean several locations each night so you may have to drive to several offices during your shift.
Most of the work performed by janitor is indoors, however it sometimes can also be outdoors. Outdoor work mainly includes sweeping walkways, mowing lawns or shoveling snow.
Some of the duties of janitorial cleaning services are-
- The primary duty includes cleaning the office and keeping it free from any form of trash or garbage, so as to enable the employees to work in a healthy environment.
- Dust the desks and wipe the computer screen and keyboard as well.
- A janitor has to make sure that all the restrooms are kept clean and are accessible to all the employees at all times. He also has to ensure that there is continuous supply of all the essentials such as toilet papers, liquid soaps etc. Sinks and mirrors are to be kept clean as well as the walls and floors of the restroom.
- In larger business and offices, janitorial services may be responsible for ordering cleaning supplies so the janitor will have to keep an inventory of what is on premise so they do not run out.
- It will be janitor’s responsibility to ensure that all the cubicles in the office are kept clean.
- A janitor has to clean carpet once a month using steam cleaner or any other equally efficient appliance.
- A janitor may also have to trim and mow lawns and shrubs and pick up debris from the ground and parking lot.
- A janitor has to follow correct procedures for using chemical cleaners and how to mix them correctly in a way that it doesn’t damage floors and fixtures.
- A janitor has to make sure that snow is removed from the parking areas, driveways, and sidewalks using snow shovels, snow blowers and snow plows plus spreading chemicals to prevent the areas from freezing and icing over.
In 2010 median pay of a janitor working in U.S was 10.68 per hour. It was expected that yearly salary would grow by 11 % according to statistics in 2010.